Friday, November 6, 2009

BANGLADESHI MATCHBOXES


Recently I have started designing matchboxes cover. Well I am a matchbox collector as well. I collect matchbox from my childhood. I was eight or nine years old that time. I used to look at the hand painted matchbox cover labels. I used to collect them from the street or my dad’s throw out matchboxes.
That time in Bangladesh matchboxes used to make by very thin pieces of wood and paper label on top. I imagine that the old matchboxes were collectible because each label was very colourful and the subject was simple but eye catching. Above all the matchbox title.

I had a very good collection of Bangladeshi matchboxes. But some how I lost my whole lot and stop collecting. Those matchboxes are really rare now. I am very doubtful many Phillumenists have them in Bangladesh. I miss my old matchboxes very much.

After long time gap I have started collecting matchboxes again. I study and research a lot about world history of matchboxes. Every time I surprised because from the beginning matchboxes was not only a matchbox itself. It was a piece art, a huge propaganda on a little box or a big billboard in your hand. There were so many things and messages on a small box.

Now day’s matchboxes design in Bangladesh is very poor. They just don’t care. Recently I went to a leading matchbox company with some creative idea. I don’t think so they liked. They just want something straight. As if it’s not a big deal. Fire box is just a fire box only. But they requested me to do some design for them. Well I did some but I am not happy with my design. They are not my type. Very commercial design. Nothing creative there. I have submited my design two days ago. Didn't get any result yet. Let's see.


Right now I am planning to do an exhibition with my 1000 handmade matchboxes. I am working on it. Few of the designs are based on soviet Russia, Japan and Czech era.

I am very much inspired by that period.
I don’t know if anyone will care about
those a hundred years from now!



Bangladeshi Matchboxes

4 comments:

Mario Alberto said...

You always surprise me with your amazing collections buddy! Congratulations!

I didn't know you are a designer too! It's great.

shakil huq said...

hi buddy...
thx for comments and very soon you'll see the matchboxes designed by me. by the way i havnt got any mexican matches. could you please show me some?

loid said...

HELLO SHAKIL,
WHAT A NICE COLLECTION OF MATCHBOXES. YES UR RIGHT, NOWADAYS. MATCHBOXES ARE JUST IGNORED.
ONLY FEW PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION TO IT. AND U R ONE OF THOSE FEW PEOPLE WHO GIVES IMPORTANCE TO THIS SIMPLE MATCHBOXES...
I HOPE TO SEE SOON ALL YOUR COLLECTIONS OF WONDERFUL MATCHBOXES.
U R GREAT MY DEAR SHAKIL. U R NOT ONLY ARTISTIC PERSON BUT CREATIVE, TOO.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORKS.
MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS U AND ALL THE WORKS OF YOUR HANDS.

Shakil Huq said...

hi loida, thx for your nice comments.well there is something special in matchboxes. many people may not understand but to me they are not just a little box at all.
very soon i am going to display all my collection.
hey i am waiting for those matchboxes whic you promised to send me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails